Current:Home > MarketsNorfolk Southern agrees to pay $600M in settlement related to train derailment in eastern Ohio -Capitatum
Norfolk Southern agrees to pay $600M in settlement related to train derailment in eastern Ohio
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 15:12:43
Norfolk Southern has agreed to pay $600 million in a class-action lawsuit settlement related to a fiery train derailment in February 2023 in eastern Ohio.
The company said Tuesday that the agreement, if approved by the court, will resolve all class action claims within a 20-mile radius from the derailment and, for those residents who choose to participate, personal injury claims within a 10-mile radius from the derailment.
Norfolk Southern added that individuals and businesses will be able to use compensation from the settlement in any manner they see fit to address potential adverse impacts from the derailment, which could include healthcare needs, property restoration and compensation for any net business loss. Individuals within 10-miles of the derailment may, at their discretion, choose to receive additional compensation for any past, current, or future personal injury from the derailment.
The company said that the settlement doesn’t include or constitute any admission of liability, wrongdoing, or fault.
The settlement is expected to be submitted for preliminary approval to the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio later in April 2024. Payments to class members under the settlement could begin by the end of the year, subject to final court approval.
Norfolk Southern has already spent more than $1.1 billion on its response to the derailment, including more than $104 million in direct aid to East Palestine and its residents. Partly because Norfolk Southern is paying for the cleanup, President Joe Biden has never declared a disaster in East Palestine, which is a sore point for many residents. The railroad has promised to create a fund to help pay for the long-term health needs of the community, but that hasn’t happened yet.
Last week federal officials said that the aftermath of the train derailment doesn’t qualify as a public health emergency because widespread health problems and ongoing chemical exposures haven’t been documented.
The Environmental Protection Agency never approved that designation after the February 2023 Norfolk Southern derailment even though the disaster forced the evacuation of half the town of East Palestine and generated many fears about potential long-term health consequences of the chemicals that spilled and burned. The contamination concerns were exacerbated by the decision to blow open five tank cars filled with vinyl chloride and burn that toxic chemical three days after the derailment.
The head of the National Transportation Safety Board said recently that her agency’s investigation showed that the vent and burn of the vinyl chloride was unnecessary because the company that produced that chemical was sure no dangerous chemical reaction was happening inside the tank cars. But the officials who made the decision have said they were never told that.
The NTSB’s full investigation into the cause of the derailment won’t be complete until June, though that agency has said that an overheating wheel bearing on one of the railcars that wasn’t detected in time by a trackside sensor likely caused the crash.
The EPA has said the cleanup in East Palestine is expected to be complete sometime later this year.
Shares of Norfolk Southern Corp., based in Atlanta, fell about 1% before the opening bell Tuesday.
veryGood! (9265)
Related
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Atlantic storm Lee delivers high winds and rain before forecasters call off warnings in some areas
- US: Mexico extradites Ovidio Guzmán López, son of Sinaloa cartel leader ‘El Chapo,’ to United States
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom says he will sign climate-focused transparency laws for big business
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Texas AG Ken Paxton was acquitted at his impeachment trial. He still faces legal troubles
- Thousands of Czechs rally in Prague to demand the government’s resignation
- US: Mexico extradites Ovidio Guzmán López, son of Sinaloa cartel leader ‘El Chapo,’ to United States
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- World War I-era plane flips onto roof trying to land near Massachusetts museum; pilot unhurt
Ranking
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Who is Harrison Mevis? Missouri's 'Thiccer Kicker' nails 61-yarder to beat Kansas State
- A Fracker in Pennsylvania Wants to Take 1.5 Million Gallons a Day From a Small, Biodiverse Creek. Should the State Approve a Permit?
- 'Wait Wait' for September 16, 2023: With Not My Job guest Hillary Rodham Clinton
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Climate activists spray Berlin’s Brandenburg Gate with orange paint
- Snow, scorpions, Dr. Seuss: What Kenyan kids talked about with top U.S. kids' authors
- Denny Hamlin wins at Bristol, defending champ Joey Logano knocked out of NASCAR playoffs
Recommendation
Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
Dominican Republic closes all borders with Haiti as tensions rise in a dispute over a canal
Hollywood strikes enter a new phase as daytime shows like Drew Barrymore’s return despite pickets
Minnesota man acquitted of killing 3 people, wounding 2 others in case that turned alibi defense
The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
Star studded strikes: Celebrities show up for WGA, SAG-AFTRA pickets
Angels two-way star Shohei Ohtani out for remainder of season with oblique injury
Who is Harrison Mevis? Missouri's 'Thiccer Kicker' nails 61-yarder to beat Kansas State